As a premier Boca Raton home care agency, we know that a healthy diet is a key component in the aging process. Eating quality, well-balanced meals ensures that a senior’s nutritional needs are met, and also helps reduce one’s risk for serious health problems and complications. Whether you’re looking to try something new or want to share a delicious recipe with your aging parent or loved one, here is one of our favorite, hearty chicken stew recipes which is easy to prepare and can be frozen for convenient “heat-up and enjoy” meals in the future.
What You’ll Need
- 1/2 pound chicken cut into chunks
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 large sliced carrot
- 1 small chopped onion
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 cloves garlic
- Seasonings to taste
Once all of your ingredients are chopped and ready, simply put all but the corn starch into a two quart saucepan. Then, add cold water to cover, bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer on low-medium heat for about an hour. After the chicken has been cooked all the way through, mix in the corn starch slowly with a little bit of water until it thickens.
Why this is a Great Recipe for Seniors
While there are numerous recipes for seniors to enjoy, our live-in caregivers in Boca Raton love this recipe because each ingredient packs a nutritional boost that is beneficial for older adults:
- Chicken is an excellent source of lean protein and healthy fats, providing energy, supporting muscle mass and helping a senior stay fuller, for longer.
- Broccoli contains nutrients that help to lower LDL cholesterol, protect heart health and act as powerful disease-fighting antioxidants
- Onions and garlic have similar benefits as broccoli, but also contain quercetin which helps preserve cognitive function and can reduce the risk for dementia and memory loss
- Carrots are loaded with beta carotene which is known to aid visual acuity
- Corn starch is a resistant starch, which means the body doesn’t break it down, leading to improved digestion and better nutrient absorption
If your aging parent or loved one is unable to prepare meals independently as the result of immobility or an advanced condition, contact Home Care Assistance of Boca Raton today. While we are the live-in care specialists, we provide flexible hourly care in Boca Raton, and assist with meal preparation, housekeeping, medication reminders and more, all from the comfort of home. Call 561-826-9282 and speak with a devoted Care Manager and schedule a free in-home consultation today.