As we get older, it becomes more difficult for our bodies to fight off disease as the result of a weakened immune system. Fortunately, there are numerous ways to boost senior immunity! Check out the following immune system boosters, presented by the professional caregivers from Home Care Assistance of Boca Raton, and help your aging parent or loved one enjoy a stronger immune system, healthier lifestyle, and a reduced risk for illness.
- Food – Fruits and vegetables are packed with fiber, which allows organs like the liver to properly filter out harmful substances. Fiber-rich foods that will benefit the immune system include carrots, spinach, bananas, apples, white beans, and potatoes. Seniors who get enough nutrients in their diets will enjoy healthy cells that help to strengthen organs and improve immunity.
- Water – Seniors have less of a sensitivity to thirst than younger people and may be suffering from dehydration without even knowing it. It is recommended that seniors get 6-8 glasses of water each day, but may be more for seniors with specific dietary or medication requirements. Proper hydration helps immunity by allowing the circulatory system, kidneys, and other organs to function properly.
- Exercise – Low impact movement of some kind is especially helpful for overall immune system health. Walking is an excellent option that forces immune cells to circulate throughout the body and kill bacteria that may be threatening overall health.
- Sleep – A good night’s rest allows the boy to heal and strengthens its immunity. For example, when we sleep our liver goes to work. The glands, such as the pituitary and adrenal glands, and the sympathetic nervous system respond very positively to proper sleep patterns.
- Vaccinations – Vaccinations boost immunity by sending signals to the immune system that prompt the body to produce anti-bodies and fight disease. Getting a yearly flu shot has proven to be extremely beneficial to seniors, helping to reduce the risk for conditions such as shingles, diphtheria, and pertussis.
Fighting back against disease and promoting a higher quality of life starts with these simple yet powerful steps. To learn more about staying healthy in the golden years, reach out to Home Care Assistance, a leading provider of home care in Boca Raton, FL and request a complimentary, no-obligation consultation with a friendly Care Manager. Call (561) 826-9282 – we’re here to help!