Shopping for the senior in your life doesn’t have to be a challenging ordeal. The key is to tailor the gift to the needs that your aging loved one has, while keeping it fun. Looking for a few ideas to get your creative juices flowing? The staff at Home Care Assistance of Boca Raton, FL offers some of our favorite ideas for senior gifts that are thoughtful, and are sure to bring a smile to a loved one’s face during the holidays.
- Supersize it. Older adults often have trouble seeing as clearly as they used to, so help out by super-sizing everyday gadgets. Remote controls, calculators and keyboards are sold in comically large sizes with easy to read keys. As humorous as the gift may be, you’d be surprised at how many seniors find great use out of these over-sized items on a regular basis.
- Keep your family in mind. Many seniors often cherish the relationships and accomplishments of their children and grandchildren. Delight your older family members by adding pictures of the family to blankets, coffee mugs, t-shirts, stationary, and refrigerator magnets. These types of personalized gifts are a great reminder of how much your aging loved one is cared for by their family.
- Add a touch of technology. More and more seniors are turning to technological devices for news, fun and entertainment. Consider purchasing a smartphone or tablet for your loved one and spend a day with them showing them how to use all of the options such as video chatting, internet browsing and downloading and playing apps. Getting your kids involved can also help make learning the new gadget more fun.
- Focus on time together. As friends and loved ones pass or move away, seniors can sometimes feel isolated or lonely. While you do your best to visit as much as possible, you may not see your loved one as much as you used to. Give your loved one a gift card for a favorite restaurant or store and offer to spend the day with them spending it and enjoying time together.
- The gift of health. Giving the gift of health can the best gift of all for a senior that may be starting to struggle with daily activities. Along with fitness trackers that help monitor a loved one’s activities, there are many ways that you can promote total health for your loved one. Consider buying sessions with a dietician or nutritionist that can help your loved one better understand how to enjoy a healthier lifestyle or a membership at a local gym so that they can participate in group fitness classes.
The holidays are also a great time to check-in on the health of aging parents and loved ones. Are they still able to carry out daily activities independently? Are they safe at home? Do they need help with transportation? Asking these questions and asking them honestly can help you determine if additional help is needed to ensure comfort and quality of life.
If you believe your aging parent could use a helping hand, consider the gift of in-home care this holiday season. Home Care Assistance of Boca Raton is a trusted and leading provider of senior care. While we specialize in live-in care, we also provide Boca Raton hourly home care with no long-term contracts; a great resource for seniors who could use as-needed help with daily tasks, personal care, transportation and more. To learn more about the gift of home care, call 561-826-9282 and speak with a friendly and knowledgeable Care Manager.